1 ½ cups quinoa, rinsed really well (if you don’t rinse it, it will be bitter)
3 cups coconut milk (I used canned because it was all I had. Or you can use almond milk, I am just a coconut nut!)
Rinse the quinoa well in a tightly weaved wire strainer. Put the quinoa along with the coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to a slight boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer for about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and DON’T TOUCH THE LID!! Let it stand for 5 minutes off the heat. You can do some warm up lunges while you wait if you are an impatient little athlete. After the 5 minutes, take a fork and fluff up the quinoa. Now you are ready to make some topping magic happen. I topped mine with chopped up pecans, unsweetened coconut flakes, fresh raspberries and a drizzle of maple syrup. Other toppings ideas include:
- any nut (walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, macadamia, cashews)
- chopped dates or dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries, papaya)
- berries (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries)
- peanut or almond butter (mix it in or place a spoonful on the side of the bowl)
- mini chocolate chips (along with the aforementioned peanut butter….ah, yes please!)
- chopped apples
- sliced bananas
- drizzle of honey or blackstrap molasses
***Get creative and let me know if you find flavor combinations that truly rock!
Thanks for joining me on another Foodie Friday! Food is a constant journey that takes you to new places… & I love being part of your journey.
Other Interesting Reads:
Does Ibuprofen help or hurt during exercise?
Relationship between exercise and inflammation